Lime49 Forum Index
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

"smallhagrid"
#1 Posted : 18 December 2010 09:08:28(UTC)

(I used your contact form to try and send this message - but it did not seem to work...)

Hello Harry.
I was going to make a post at your forum - but there is no category for my message - I feel odd using this as I have no way to hire you, but it seems you'd benefit from the info I'd like to share - so here it is:

In exchange for the use of an office space I provide IT services for someone I've known quite a while.
Lately he's fallen madly in lust with an iphone.
He has trouble understanding that apple stuff is not overly PC-friendly and his office uses...only PCs.
His lust for mobility has lead to a request for PIM access via iphone as well as via browser when traveling or even at home.
His office lady merrily keeps his schedule updated of course - but on Lotus Organizer - which works for in-office use only.

Naturally he requested I research this for him and I have been on a mad quest for an iphone>PC PIM...for weeks now.
This is how I found your programs.

Here is the kicker: There is NO one thing yet in existence which handles calendaring AND contacts that bridges the gap between PC and iphone.
NOTHING.
It can be server based - either via hosted web space or a local server - use any number of methods to communicate - but there is really, truly NOTHING.

Not to be a liar, I did find one thing exactly - Pimero, which has the open-source Firebird at it's core claims to run a server, have a web client, AND do iphone sync - the trouble is that it is a German product and even asking those folks questions, is - well - quite strange.

Seems to me that it would be totally brilliant - wonderfully saleable - and hugely popular if you might find a way to add contact management to your programs as well as iphone friendliness; I bet you'd make a great many people very, very happy !!!

If I were other than a struggling self-employed IT guy myself I'd immediately send you a donation to help get you an iphone; but since I am broke I wonder if you've considered finding one for less money on ebay ?

Alright, I've gone on too long already - thanks for 'listening' !!!

Best Wishes.

mark
HJennerway
#2 Posted : 18 December 2010 13:16:52(UTC)
HJennerway

I'm not an iPhone developer unfortunately, and a full blown calendaring app is a big commitment I don't think I can make for free right now, but thanks for the suggestion. ;)
"smallhagrid"
#3 Posted : 18 December 2010 13:28:48(UTC)

Good Heavens Man - I never meant you'd even THINK of making such a thing for free !!!
The bottom line is that NOBODY has done this and there are people galore searching for this functionality and finding...nothing.
Even a lone operator with a tiny office - and an iphone - would merrily cough up 100USD for that single user.
If I were a programmer I would jump on this myself; but alas I am not.

Best Wishes.

mark
HJennerway
#4 Posted : 18 December 2010 16:34:51(UTC)
HJennerway

Maybe some day I'll get time to do this. :)